After going to the strawberry field for the third time this year, I finally reached the point where I just couldn’t eat any more fresh strawberries and my freezer was just too full to accommodate any additional ones. So, there is another point that I reached: making a strawberry sauce for the first time!
I must say, for an experiment it turned out being quite amazing! I even got Felix’s first reaction to be “Mmm…!”, so I think I can proudly present the recipe!
I wish I could say that the sauce is ridiculously rich of Vitamin C (as are strawberries) but, unfortunately, most the of it, if not all, gets lost in the process of cooking… 🙁 … Luckily, that has no impact on the sauce’s great taste! :)…
Negativism aside, this recipe is full of fiber (which we all love!) coming from the strawberries, dates and the apple pectin, which I used instead of canning sugar. Another bonus: no refined sugar! I have became a great fan of dates sugar (dry dates powder) and so far it has been working great for me! Dates taste great and are a good source of potassium, magnesium, manganese. For having nutty taste, I added hemp seeds… rich of protein and unsaturated fats.
You can have it on a toast, with yogurt, with ice-cream… or like I had last: just with a spoon!
- 1 kg strawberries
- 3 tbsp dates sugar
- 3 tbsp apple pectin
- 1 tbsp hemp flour
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- ½ lemon
- Blend ¾ of the strawberries in a blender
- Cut the rest to small pieces and add it together with the dates sugar and the hemp flour
- Press the juice of ½ lemon and mix it with the apple pectin
- Mix until a smooth texture is formed and there are no lumps
- Finally, add it to the rest together with them hemp seeds and some cinnamon and mix.
- In a pot, bring the mixture to a boil and stir for 4-5 min. Pour into a glasses and let it cool. Keep in the refrigerator.